Computing, Mathematics & Digital Technology Staff
Dr Ling Qian
Reader in Computational Fluid Dynamics, PhD, MSc, BSc, PGCAP.
- Research and teaching in computational modelling of fluid flows and its applications to real world engineering problems
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Foundation Mathematics
- Numerical Methods with Matlab
- Computational modelling of water and air flows
- Free surface modelling
- Wave interaction with fixed/floating structures
- Mesh generation including Cartesian cut cell method and hybrid overset meshing techniques
- High performance computing for CFD
- PI/Co-I on the following EPSRC projects with a total research income over £1.8M to MMU:
- A Hybrid Turbulence Approach for Simulation of Breaking Waves and Their Impacts on Coastal Structures
(EP/F069162/1, 2009 - 2011)
- FROTH: Fundamentals and Reliability of Offshore Structure Hydrodynamics (EP/J012793/1, 2012 - 2015)
- Modelling Marine Renewable Energy Devices; Designing for Survivability (EP/J010197/1, 2012 - 2015)
- Virtual Wave Structure Interaction (WSI) Simulation Environment (EP/K037889/1, 2013 - 2016)
- A CCP on Wave/Structure Interaction: CCP-WSI (EP/M022382/1, 2015 - 2020)
- A Zonal CFD Approach for Fully Nonlinear Simulations of Two Vessels in Launch and Recovery Operations (EP/N008839/1, 2015 - 2018)
- Co-Director, Centre for Mathematical Modelling and Flow Analysis.
- Member of School Management Group (SMG)
Recent External Roles
- Reviewer for a number of international academic journals and conferences
- Reviewing research grant applications for EPSRC
- Member of Technical Program Committee (TPC) of the International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers (ISOPE)
- D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham and L. Qian (2009), "Developments in Multi-Fluid Finite
Volume Cartesian Cut Cell Free Surface Capturing Methods", in ADVANCES IN
NUMERICAL SIMULATION OF NONLINEAR WATER WAVES, edited by Qingwei Ma, World Scientific, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-283-649-6.
- Z.H. Ma, D.M. Causon, L. Qian, C.G. Mingham, T. Mai, D. Greaves, A. Raby (2016), Pure and aerated water entry of a flat plate, Physics of Fluids, 28, 016104; http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4940043.
- P. Martinez Ferrer, D.M. Causon, L. Qian, C. Mingham and Z.H Ma (2016), A multi-region coupling scheme for compressible and incompressible flow solvers for two-phase flow in a numerical wave tank, Computers & Fluids, Vol.126, Pages 116-129.
- Z.H. Ma, D.M. Causon, L. Qian, H. Gu, C.G. Mingham, and P. Martinez Ferrer (2015), "A GPU based compressible multiphase hydrocode for modelling violent hydrodynamic impact problems", Computers & Fluids, Vol.120, Pages 1-23, doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2015.07.010
- Z.H. Ma, D.M. Causon, L. Qian, C.G. Mingham, H. Gu and P. Martinez Ferrer (2014), "A Compressible
Multiphase Flow Model for Violent Aerated Wave Impact Problems", Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol.470 (2172).
- H. Gu, L. Qian, D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham and P. Lin (2014), "Numerical simulation of water impact of solid bodies with vertical
and oblique entries", Ocean Engineering, Vol.75, P128-137.
- Z. Hu, D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham, L. Qian (2013), "Numerical simulation of water impact on a wave energy converter in free fall motion", Open Journal of Fluid Dynamics, Vol. 3, P109-115.
- J. Tang, D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham, L. Qian (2013), "Numerical study of vegetation damping effects on solitary wave run-up using the nonlinear shallow water equations", Coastal Engineering,
Vol. 75, P21-28.
- Z. Hu, D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham and L. Qian (2013), "The Cartesian cut cell free surface capturing method for 3D water impact problems", International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 71, Issue 10, P1238-1259.
- H. Gu, D.M. Causon and C.G. Mingham and L. Qian (2013), "Development of a free surface flow solver for the simulation of wave/body interaction", European Journal of Mechanics/B (Fluids), Vol. 38, P1-17.
- L. Qian, D.M. Causon and C.G. Mingham (2012), "Comments on an improved free surface capturing method based on Cartesian cut cell mesh for water-entry and -exit problems", Proc. R. Soc. A. Vol. 468, No. 2138, P305-309.
- Z. Hu, D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham and L.Qian (2011), "Numerical simulation of floating bodies in extreme free surface waves", Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, Vol.11, No.2, P519-527.
- Z. Ma, L. Qian, D.M. Causon, H. B. Gu and C.G. Mingham (2011), "A Cartesian ghost-cell multi-grid Poisson solver for incompressible flows", International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.85, Issue 2, P230-246.
- W. Bai, C. G. Mingham, D. M. Causon, L. Qian (2010), "Finite volume simulation of viscous free surface waves using the Cartesian cut cell approach", International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 63, Issue 1, p69-95.
- L. Qian, D.M. Causon, C.G. Mingham and D.M. Ingram (2006), "A free-surface capturing method for two fluid flows with moving bodies", Proceedings of the Royal Society: A, 462 (2065):21-42.
- L. QIAN, C. MINGHAM, D. CAUSON, D. INGRAM, M. FOLLEY, and T. WHITTAKER "NUMERICAL SIMULATION OF WAVE POWER DEVICES USING A TWO-FLUID FREE SURFACE SOLVER", Modern Physics Letters B 2005 19:28n29, 1479-1482.
- L. Qian, D.M. Causon, D.M. Ingram and C.G. Mingham (2003), "A Cartesian cut cell two-fluid solver for hydraulic flow problems", ASCE Journal of Hydraulic
Engineering, Vol. 129, No. 9, 688-696.
- L. Qian, M. Vezza (2001), "A vorticity-based method for incompressible unsteady viscous flows", Journal of Computational Physics, Academic Press, vol.172, 515-542.
Tel:+44 (0)161 2471548
Personal Home page and other Web sites